View Single Post
Old 03-27-2018, 09:59 AM   #69 (permalink)
mannydantyla
EcoModding Apprentice

Aerokee - '97 Jeep Cherokee XJ sport
90 day: 18.22 mpg (US)

Scrambler - '74 Honda CL200 Motorcycle
90 day: 55 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecars View Post
Thanks for Jeep XJ thread on economy! My '95 XJ gets 24MPG regularly. Is that good? - Here's how: Tires @ 44PSI, Synthetic 10-40 hi mileage oil, clean air filter, a light foot! And my XJ is a manual transmission Jeep. I'd say speeds 60 or under are the most helpful, as our XJs are aerodynamic bricks. XJs run hot, so I've deleted my A/C (not much of a sacrifice here in high and dry Colorado) and for off road crawling, I pop my hood and insert 2 large diameter 6 inch long foam noodle sections under each side of hood popped to safety catch, to prevent bouncing. I like the vents but resist cutting my hood! Perhaps I could buy a hood from a salvage yard for that experiment?
Yup 24mpg average is pretty good, that's what my goal is honestly, but from what I understand the automatic AW-4 is a power sucker. Swapping to an AX-15 (manual) is a worthy swap, but you need a (rare) manual XJ donor vehicle, too many parts missing from a manual TJ wrangler. Manual XJs that would normally be destined for the scrap yard are instead fetching $1-$2k just because they have the AX-15. You need the shifter linkage, clutch pedal and linkage and everything else, master and slave cylinder stuff, etc.

For low speed crawling, it's better to lift the back of the hood by the windshield (and you accomplish this by using spacers and longer bolts on the hood's hinges). This lets hot air escape the engine compartment, rather then ambient air enter from the front. But at slow enough speeds it doesn't matter as much.

Last edited by mannydantyla; 03-27-2018 at 10:19 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to mannydantyla For This Useful Post:
littlecars (03-30-2018)