View Single Post
Old 03-30-2018, 07:12 AM   #16 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamsterpower View Post
The complaints that charging an EV takes too long vs. a petrol car, always bother me. Oil for the petrol powered car took millions of years of solar energy to charge up. NiCad, LiPo, Hydrogen..... and oil, it's all forms of batteries. We just can't "recharge" oil like we can the others. Any cars I buy from now on will be EVs. Preferably charged at home from roof top solar regardless of efficiency or cost.
I think that misses the point for most drivers.

I ride my bike to work when the weather is good. I might consider getting off my bike and using an EV for around-town trips if I had one, but for 8 months out of the year my car is used almost exclusively for 500+ mile trips - which is to say, very little. I can't do those with any current EVs.

I wouldn't mind how long it takes to fill a battery if it didn't basically mean I can't take road trips with existing EVs and infrastructure. Tesla's supercharger network is spotty, and with any other brand you basically don't drive more than half a charge away from home, or you'll be spending the night next to a 120v outlet at a motel for $80+ per night.

I suppose I could just fly and rent a car at my destination, but the costs are considerably higher than driving my Insight, and I'm the sort that actually enjoys the road in between. I'll definitely be moving to an EV once the charging network gets better, but for now it doesn't fit my needs.