View Single Post
Old 04-03-2018, 07:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Stacygifford
Eco Storm Chaser

Nemo - '87 Ford Mustang GT
90 day: 27.26 mpg (US)

K-sight - '02 Honda Insight
90 day: 39.24 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bonestock88 View Post
Holy crap! An actual normal person with a K swapped Insight! Looking good!
LMFAO!!! Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
If you want to get the RPM down further, there should be 4.058 and 4.00 final drives available for that transmission, as opposed to the 4.389 yours has. I probably would've taken the Accord's transmission too.

Are you able to use the stock Integra axles? Are the wheels the same distance apart?

How difficult was it to put the Civic knuckles on?
I actually originally had the accord trans, but the trans mounts would not fit.... not even close.I purchased the accord trans for $230 and sold it for 300. It is important to note that went ahead and purchased the rsx parts and sold the accord stuff before I realized that the innovative mounts were awful. I was trying to avoid having to cut and weld all together.

yes, the stock Integra axles are a direct fit. the insight has a narrower wheelbase, but the k20 intermediate shaft (from the rsx or ep3) is also shorter. this would not work with the accord 5sd intermediate shaft unless a custom driver side axel was made. When using the Integra axles, you have to use the driver side axle on the passenger side and vice versa.

I would love to use the European accord 4.058 final drive (and counter shaft) but at ~$600 this out of my price range ATM being back in school and whatnot.

The dream would be to use the 3.4 final drive here but at $1200.... this is a LONG ways out.

For the time being, I will be saving up for a TSX 6speed so i can swap its 1-6 gears onto the rsx 4.38 FD with an LSD of some type... my brand new 175/65r14 Falken's have wheel spin at 75MPH.
This could be cheaper than just doing the 6th gear swap.

I could possibly buy 12 Si+ 6th: 0.647 but thats not much of a change

I would also like to purchase a k24a2 from a 2006-8 TSX as well, an extra 60hp and more compression (10.5 vs 9.7) would be nice. As long as i keep my foot out of it, it could actually help fuel economy

As for the civic knuckles, the MUCH larger brakes fit under the stock wheels, they bolt strait up to the insight struts, provided that you use a small spacer (washers) because the knuckle is ~3mm thinner than the stock ones. The only complication is the fact that the civic and insight ball joints mount differently. The insight has the balljoint in the lower control arm and bolts through the knuckle. (see pic below) the civic goes the other direction.
We decided to use the civic ball joints so that they are actually serviceable and so if need be, I can always run an adjustable ball joint for suspension geometry adjustment. racecar and whatnot. the ball joint inserts i listed in my previous post are nice, but they still require machining of the lower control arms. I purchased some 1.5" bar stock and just turned it down in a lathe.
For some reason Honda decided to make the balljoint into the lower control arm and is non serviceable.