View Single Post
Old 04-04-2018, 12:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Natalya
Engine-Off-Coast

Red 2000 Insight (2017 through 2019) - '00 Honda Insight 5MT
90 day: 64.72 mpg (US)

Red 2000 Lithium Insight (2020) - '00 Honda Insight LTO
90 day: 71.76 mpg (US)
2018 Honda Clarity

Yes, the Clarity plug-in hybrid, the car that everyone thinks is ugly as sin.

Personally, as far as modern cars go, I don't think this one looks terrible. I mean, have you seen any Lexus after they switched to the hourglass front grille on all of their models? That has to be uglier.

Anyway, my dad went and bought himself this 2018 Clarity about a month ago. I took it for a drive to work one day and I took photos to post on here about my experience.

This particular Clarity was built in December 2017 and was apparently the third Clarity shipped to a dealership in Georgia.

The day after he got it (a couple days before I had my drive with it) there were all kinds of electrical problems and stuff, and he had to take it to the dealership. I told him it was probably the 12v battery was weak and causing subsytems to throw codes. He took it there and they diagnosed a weak 12v battery and replaced it under warranty. I guess it probably didn't like sitting on the boat from Japan and then not being driven around for a couple months.

Anyway, enough about that, let's get to the eco specs.

First off, as you can see above, this car is massive. At least when compared to other hybrids, some full-size sedans are bigger. If it were higher off the ground it would be a crossover SUV. It's 192 inches long. I don't have the curb weight for the plugin-hybrid, but the fuel cell version is over 4100 pounds. I expect this one to be somewhere around there.

EPA figure says 47 miles electric-only range. (More on that later.)

Michelin Green X Energy Savers 235/45/R18

These are the factory tires, sitting on 18-inch combination alloy//plastic rims. The darker detail is made out of plastic. I think it has an aerodynamic function.

I didn't photo much of the inside, mostly just the instruments. This is a luxury car, wood paneling and leather seats. Here I wanted to show the blind-spot camera that activates when signalling right. I drove a 2016 Fit last year that had the same thing and I really liked it. The camera is mounted to the passenger mirror. The camera quality is potato level. I think you could probably replace it with some aftermarket HD one and get better results.

The Following User Says Thank You to Natalya For This Useful Post:
Daox (04-04-2018)