View Single Post
Old 04-04-2018, 04:21 PM   #22 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
The LCD displays that I have now are slim, and text, graphics, and colors are far better than any CRT I've ever seen. While I don't do video, I do some fairly complicated visualization stuff. I don't see any artifacts of the sort you describe. I suspect most of them are not the fault of the display technology, but of trying to compress high-definition video to fit through low-bandwidth channels.
Videophiles will still find reason to complain. Ever display a "black" screen on an LCD in a dark room and notice how much light it's throwing out? A black screen should produce zero light. The other digital image quality issues you describe are due to compression. Stuff like smoke and fog usually look bad to me in digital form.

I'm happy where technology has gone. I can clearly see individual players in a football game compared to the old analog broadcast TV where you couldn't read their names on the jersey.

CRT is dead, plasma for some reason too, and next will be LCD, likely to be replaced by OLED.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!