View Single Post
Old 04-05-2018, 05:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyLugNut View Post
Most manufacturers can meet CARB and AQMD requirements in pollutants. It's the addition of CO2 as a pollutant ( and thus an implied MPG requirement ) that has pushed people to mandate EVs and strong hybrids.
OK, but I would still be not surprised if some automakers start a hybrids-only approach to California. Toyota is already taking a similar approach with Lexus in most of the Europe, plus in some countries such as Spain and Portugal even mainstream models such as the Yaris are only available with either a manual transmission or the hybrid e-CVT instead of the traditional automatic. Well, since the market share for manuals in the U.S.A. is almost negligible, it seems like an easy move. Well, once Toyota finally gets some hybrid versions for the Tacoma, Tundra, 4Runner and Sequoia, I'll be convinced there will be no way back.

Anyway, even if Trump effectively makes EPA to pull the plug on Obama's standards, I'm sure fleet managers and private entrepreneurs would still demand fuel-efficiency improvements not just in order to cut their fuel expenses but also to trade carbon credits whenever possible.