View Single Post
Old 04-06-2018, 07:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
hat_man
Master EcoModder

Oh Deer - '03 Ford Ranger XL
90 day: 33.97 mpg (US)
LRR tires are out. Too hard a compound for the driving I have to do in the snow. I need traction on the twisty 2 lane blacktops I drive. The current tires (not my choice but on the truck when I bought it) are 36 lbs each. I am currently looking at the Kumho Crugen HT51 (in the correct size) at 27lbs each and 7" wide. Rated at 51 psi inflation and excellent wet,snow,comfort, and tread wear ratings according to Tire Rack. They are a light truck/cross over tire. The other option is the Firestone Destination A/T in a size very slightly smaller than stock (205/75/15 compared to 225/70/15 stock). 24 lbs each and only 6.3" wide according to TR. Only 44 psi on the inflation and only slightly lower ratings for the weather and ride. I had the Firestone's on the old Ranger and they ride very well. I did see a drop of 1 mpg but I also changed from a 14" tire (stock) to a heavier 15" tire and heavier wheels. They handled great in the snow and were pretty quiet for an A/T tire. The Kuhmo Crugen's are fairly new and I haven't seen very many reviews on them from folks who have driven more than 2-3k miles. Either way both are much lighter than the current Brigdestone All Terrain's that are on there. Up-sizing to the largest tire that can comfortably fit in the wheel well and allow for travel takes the weight up to 30-31 lbs each. (235/75/15 compared to 225/70/15 stock)