View Single Post
Old 04-07-2018, 07:04 AM   #16 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyLugNut View Post
I remember seeing the Roots TS3 running around our neighborhood.
The only time I saw a TS3-powered truck, it was parked under a bridge in the Brazil-Uruguay border. Well, I wasn't even able to figure out if it still had the stock engine or if it had already been repowered with some Brazilian 4-stroke (the Mercedes-Benz OM352 had been a popular alternative for engine swaps in Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay).

Quote:
I've always wanted to grab one and refit a more capable fuel system.
Since I got to know about the TS3 I wanted to get one and fit into some Chevy full-size truck.

Quote:
I feel two strokes are dismissed as being too noisy and dirty without digging deeper into the design.
When it comes to 2-strokes, nowadays most people seem to forget the Diesel ones and only remind spark-ignited applications. Well, at least most 2-stroke Diesels resorted to an oil recirculation lube system, which makes it easier to implement some emission controls which became mainstream such as EGR.

Quote:
An extended stroke TS3 can allow us to provide a head with an intake valve system reducing that source of oil bypass.
The absence of a cylinder head is actually a desirable feature, since there is a smaller surface for heat losses through irradiation, thus the engine can convert more energy into motion instead of just waste it.