View Single Post
Old 04-07-2018, 04:45 PM   #23 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
VW/Porsche fan draw

Quote:
Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
I found an image of a Porsche 924 without the rear spoiler while looking for Audi TT with and with-out rear spoiler.

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...ictures-4.html

As Maxwell Smart would say.............."Missed it by that much".

I can see why the later 924's and 944 had the rear spoiler.

A much greater discrepancy on the older 911 design, but with a Ducktail it's a different story. I know it's not the favored "attached flow", but it's a step in the right direction.

Porsche Says These Are the Best Wings Porsche Has Ever Made
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...nd-rear-wings/

This Audi TT below is a few years later than the 2001 model, I think this retractable one allows air to sneak between it's bottom lip and the trunk lid. The result appears to be some smoke gets under there, perhaps a good thing, I'm not sure.

aerodynamics? - VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com

The thing I worry about is water getting trapped in the joint of the proposed "Upper Duck". If vented or weeped at the bottom some flow similar to the Audi above could feed the cooling air intake vent. That's a pretty big "could be" at the moment.

Didn't someone in the forum build a scale model wind tunnel tester a few years ago?

It's a pretty strong fan, even the five bladed one I have. Discussions on replacing it with an electric fan were deemed unfeasible in the Pelican forum as the motor would be more powerful than a Prius electric motor. Updating my 5 bladed fan to a better cooling one would rob me of 5 hp, similar to lugging around an extra 50 lbs - no thanks.

My point is, as much as I've looked into the fan draw issue, I've never found a VW Beetle or Porsche 911 wind tunnel smoke study that included air being drawn into the engine bay. A great appointment for me, and even greater now that I'm pondering this proposal.
It doesn't matter as much if the flow into the engine compartment is at high pressure or not,as both have engine-driven,high-static-pressure fans for forced-air cooling to compensate.
As to spoilers:
*The 924 Turbo reached out to Buchheim's 23-degree contour
*The VW Student is AST
*The VW H2 concept is AST
*The VW Bugatti EB110 is AST
*Porsche 911 GT1 is AST
*VW L1 is Buchheim
*'09 Audi A2 is Buchheim
*VW Lambo Murcielago is AST
*Porsche 918 is AST
*Porsche Panamera S is AST/Buchheim
*VW Lambo Sesto Elemento is AST
*Audi R8 GT is AST/Buchheim
*VW Lambo Aventador is AST
*VW Bugatti Veyron is AST/Buchheim
*Audi A9 concept is Buchheim
*VW XL1 is AST
*Porsche 911 GTR RS 4.0 is AST
*Audi A8L is AST
*Audi A7 spoiler is AST
*Audi RS5 is AST
*Audi S3 2.0 Quattro S Tronic spoiler is Buchheim
*Audi SQ5 is Buchheim
*Porsche Macan Turbo is AST/Buchheim
*Audi R8 V10 Plus is AST
*Don't have Audi TT with me
VW Group appears to favor the 22-23-degree maximum down-slope.Even if there's longitudinal vortices,at least they've got enough center-line flow reattachment to control rear lift,as many of these cars are really fast!