View Single Post
Old 04-09-2018, 12:17 PM   #253 (permalink)
Vman455

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,801 Times in 938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
The epoxy resin with graphite would have been lighter but not as abrasion resistant I suspect. It would have been very glossy/slippery and not matte finish. I think it would show the flaws a little more as well as being difficult to get a grip on while installing or removing it. I only did a spinner cone, nothing as large as your tail section.

Looks good, but I didn't expect to see the air gap. Guess I wasn't following this as closely as I had thought.
It's still fairly light--I can easily pick it up myself. However, I'm not planning on removing it from the car unless it falls apart (cross your fingers!) or until I build a better version.

I've actually added some bracing now on the sides, to which I'm also going to attach some aluminum paneling to cover the gap. After that, I think I'll make an aluminum spoiler extension to cover the top gap; I need to be able to reach in to open the hatch, so I can't cover it fully. That was one of my stipulations for this project: maintain hatch accessibility. This would have been a lot easier designing the car from scratch to be streamlined!