View Single Post
Old 04-10-2018, 09:09 AM   #26 (permalink)
wdb
lurker's apprentice

PlainJane - '12 Toyota Tacoma Base 4WD Access Cab
90 day: 20.98 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
How much did it sell for new? An average 60's muscle musclecar probably sold for under $4000 yet in that kind of condition might bring 6 figures. Some even 7 figures, now that's something. Or look at it this way, in order to sell an Insight for $21,000 they had to spend almost that much for its dry storage for 20 years and also never actually use the car after spent $20000 in the first place. What would have made the owner money would to have driven it 200,000 miles at 80 mpg.
I don't understand the need to disparage. The car is worth what it's worth. I'm very impressed with the fact that its significance is clearly recognized by those who seek to preserve automotive history. I see no need to run down the folks who would pay that much, or the people who kept the car in that kind of condition to begin with.

But consider. You're a retiree and don't drive much. But when you do drive, you want to make as little impact as you can manage. So you buy an Insight. You use it for your errands and runabouts and whatnot. You put a few K miles on it over the course of 10-12 years or so. You get older. You decide its time to sell it. By which time the car has attained cult status and become an icon. I guess that makes you a money wasting fool?