View Single Post
Old 04-12-2018, 05:30 PM   #815 (permalink)
RedDevil
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
I once hitched a trailer with a separate steering front axle that I was unlicensed for (because the driver that was was temporarily engaged) and I had to back it up round a tiny rotunda, being the only spot in a cul-de-sac where it was possible to get the combination in the other direction. Inexperienced hitcher, impossible hitch. Recipe for disaster?

I quickly learned to compare the views in the side mirrors to judge what position the front axle would be in. Beam, axle and wheels were impossible to see, but do affect the position of the front end of the trailer as seen in the mirrors.
So backing it up was a 3-stage process, repeated over and over again: Where do I want to point the back end of the trailer -> What direction should the front trailer axle be in to turn the back in the right direction-> what must I do to to get the front axle in that direction?

When my brother-in-law returned from the small room and saw the combination facing the other way he said nothing, but I sensed a change in demeanor

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

Last edited by RedDevil; 04-12-2018 at 05:38 PM..