View Single Post
Old 04-13-2018, 05:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
acparker
EcoModding Apprentice

If you want to avoid winter weather, timing is the most important thing. Not having control of your departure time, the best option is driving south to I-40. A winter storm will still get you, especially on the higher passes, late into spring and even early summer.

I think I-40 is probably the most direct route to the South Rim. I-70 is certainly more picturesque, once you pass Denver, but you have to travel equally picturesque but slower speed highways to get to the South Rim, with plenty of attractions to distract you as you pass by.

To get the trip done in 2 days, getting west as soon as you can helps, as the interstate speed limits are higher (80 in most of rural Utah, for example).

The Grand Canyon at the South Rim is at 7,000 feet and the North Rim is over 8,000 feet, so snow and cold can linger well into summer.

I assume you would be flying to Las Vegas. It is still about a four hour drive to the South Rim or North Rim and you will be at higher elevations the last hour or so.

Again, it is all about timing and luck. Looks like nice weather at the South Rim for the next few weeks, getting downright warm by May.