View Single Post
Old 04-17-2018, 12:07 AM   #202 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,387 Times in 3,361 Posts
Somehow most of the information you'd want to know about a motorcycle isn't to be found on manufacturers websites anymore. I just looked at what the big 4 had to offer, and not a single HP or speed rating was listed on any bike for any manufacturer. Top speed is very relevant for the lower displacement bikes.

Anyhow, I found Suzuki had a 200cc bike, but other sites that reviewed it said it had a top speed of 65, and didn't get particularly good fuel economy.

No idea why the 250s weigh more than my 17 year old CB600. You can probably find my bike for $2k used. It would get 75 MPG if you geared it taller and drove it like a granny.

First time I've looked at bikes in over a decade, and there are way more options available now, but very few 250 options, and even less below that. This should be an indication of the demand for these displacements. If a bike requires a motorcycle endorsement, then it should also be capable of achieving the speed limits of the state. A 50cc scooter doesn't require an endorsement and will do about 40 MPH.

I get the appeal of small and light bikes. The most fun I had in my motorcycle tour through Peru wasn't on the CRF 450 bikes we rode, but an afternoon tearing around on a 125cc dual sport. This was due to the attention and skill required to get it up a steep, dry riverbed. Driving a 125 at it's limit isn't likely to get you killed like a more powerful machine. That said, I'd still be in Peru if I had to do the whole trip on a 125 (and the policia would have extorted all my money).

Finally, I agree with taking the back roads as often as possible, which I do. That's exactly the place I want to ride fast. I especially have no patience being stuck behind someone that wants to go slow through the curves. Being able to pass anyone in 2 seconds means I never get stuck behind someone.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 04-17-2018 at 12:27 AM..