View Single Post
Old 04-21-2018, 12:58 PM   #30 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
Thanks Aerohead, your early input on some ideas I've been tossing around is appreciated.

The next round of changes will be a scheme that attaches the deflecting plane (wing/spoiler) to the engine lid instead of the rear window lip. This is another level of simplification and functionality.

It will be neither a Ducktail nor a Whaletail/Teatray but something that is a little of both and a further development of the Sponge Bob model.

In my opinion only the very first concept shown (Saab-style) had the possibility of interrupting airflow in a bad way, and my concerns about it have paved the way to a better direction so it was a necessary step.

EDIT: Posted new photos - I took the wing, flipped it upside down, bent the edges and stuffed it into the joints of the engine lid. Kept the angle not too aggressive but there is room for experimentation there.

Now it's looking similar to any other aftermarket wing on any other car?

I don't care if it looks similar or oddly different, as long as it works.

EDIT-2: To be clear, I don't expect free flowing airflow to engage the wing. I expect the trailing edge of the wing to extend the profile of the car to a near Aero-Template profile thereby lowering the Cd.

Some of this air flow is getting drawn down into the engine grille via the engine cooling fan prior to the wing's affects so this should not alter existing engine cooling for better or worse.

I also expect some slight squeezing of air (acceleration) of air traveling between car body and underside of wing. At a micro level this means there is anti-lift or down-force on the wing. At the macro level of pressure wave/bubble; I'm not so sure what sort of swirling turbulence from possible pressure differentials of air traveling under and along the sides of the car as it meets the air coming over the top of the car causes. I'm looking for slight improvements and not an entire overhaul.
I think the change will help out with cooling.It would be better if everything was boxed in,as Porsche did,as there's only 'leakage' via the engine compartment.But hey,this is your rodeo!
Also,I don't think a wing can be effective unless it's raised up into the inviscid flow,above the separated wake,as Mercedes did with their 190 Evo,Mitsubishi Lancer Evo,Subaru WRX,and Chrysler Aerospace' Dodge Charger Daytona.
A wind tunnel would be handy.