View Single Post
Old 04-22-2018, 10:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
hayden55
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Even though I believe some sort of electrification is unavoidable, such as the mild-hybrids, an enhancement to the thermal efficiency of the ICEs is still desirable. Well, there is a lot of room for improvements which still make more sense than simply trying to outlaw engines.
True I agree with you. People who are trying to outlaw engines don't realize how we get the majority of our fuels to make our "clean" electricity... Sadly for a large majority of the world, it is coal-fired power plants which are extremely inefficient in the 30s on thermal efficiency.
I think a highly efficient engine and a good ERC of some sort is the way to go. Well, ERC meaning energy recovery system aka a hybrid. I think the BEV situation is a large flop when you look at the current picture (extremely complex manufacturing and supply chain, high government subsidies, low range, high weight, expensive etc...).
If you can get one of Mazda's compression ignition engines around 50% thermally efficient running on 87 octane coupled with an ERC system and a fantastic drag coefficient that's pretty much the last nail in the BEV coffin unless you're part of the very small locations in the world that can realistically run solar panels and afford entry.