View Single Post
Old 04-23-2018, 06:44 PM   #58 (permalink)
mpg_numbers_guy
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
90 day: 61.95 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Yup. Cabin heater. Also, you can do the old cabbie trick and pop the hood. Juast make sure your safety release is good and strong so the hood does not fly into your windshield.
Wait, why would I want to do this? My car isn't anywhere close to overheating...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bonestock88 View Post
Holy crap! Doing work, son!
You might wanna add some holes for checking air pressure without removing the entire cover... otherwise, looking good! You’ve currently matched where I’m at with my car lol
All thanks to you guys and what you post!

That's what I was originally planning on doing...but these are made from cardboard, and if I made holes for that, then that would leave edges of cardboard exposed, making them no longer waterproof. Unless you have an idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
I think a general rule is that if you're running the fan with any frequency, those electrical losses will offset the gains from a block. It's best to back the block off a bit if you find this to be the case.
So far the temps haven't gone noticeably higher, maybe 1 degree or so on hills when the day is warmer, but that isn't out of the ordinary, so I'm pretty sure the fan hasn't turned on.

Honestly not as much of the grille is blocked as it looks like. The upper grille opening is super small - only part of the lower part below the bar that runs horizontally through the center of the upper grille is open, so blocking it off was more for aero than anything, and only maybe an inch or two on each side of the lower block is closed, and it's ducted, so I'm guessing that'll help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Didn't someone make a fan indicator light? As I recall, they installed it under the back of the hood.
That would be cool...if I could figure out how. That seems to be in the class of "mods I would love to do but don't have the expertise and know-how to do". Anyone can do duct tape and cardboard lol.

------------------------------------

There is definitely an improvement, but unable to accurately quantify it due to being in the process of replacing my OBD2 adapter under warranty. Have definitely noticed less effort from the engine in driving and an improved warm up time, and a MAJOR improvement in coasting ability. Areas where I lost speed I generally maintain it, and areas where I maintain speed I've usually gained speed.

Right now trying to figure out how to attach the lawn edging as an air dam. Edging is 4"; was going to try it at that length and trim it if it scrapes too much. There doesn't seem to be much to screw into, unless I split the circular part at the top in half, bend it perpendicularly, and screw it into the bumper.

Good news is, there are already stock holes in the bumper for this, and the mounting points for the current, falling apart, 1/2-inch factory air dam are good places for zip ties.

From what I've read, the air dam is the best FE improving mod compared to what I've done already, and I think I read somewhere it offers the best improvement in FE to the 7th gen Civic than any other single mod with the exception of a boattail (and engine mods)?

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)

Last edited by mpg_numbers_guy; 04-24-2018 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: Misspelling :)