View Single Post
Old 04-24-2018, 02:47 PM   #1460 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,388 Times in 3,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
Corporate boards dedicated to maximizing short term profit (20 years is still short term compared to the deep time we should be encouraging the human race to thrive) are sowing the seeds of our destruction.. In the current free market where we pay almost nothing for the actual substance of any natural resource, only for the cost of extraction, it makes more sense to rake the oceans clean of any edible food source and then scrap the fleet and move on to some other money maker, than to reduce profits and manage the fisheries to remain sustainable for thousands or millions of years.
While there certainly is a problem of short sightedness, I do not believe boards of directors are completely ignoring long term viability and profitability. That said, natural resources are heavily regulated, and have varying degrees of success at achieving long term sustainability. For instance, there are far more trees in our forests today than there were 100 years ago.

A properly regulated industry will balance the needs of consumers, the needs of the company, and the sustainability of the resource.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (05-05-2018)