View Single Post
Old 04-24-2018, 09:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
j12piprius
Liberty Lover

pris prius - '12 Toyota plug in prius
90 day: 71.09 mpg (US)
The 2010 insight apparently uses a better battery pack than the civic. I'm concerned with it's rear visibility.

I drive the old chevy 10 or 20 miles a week around town, used the civic for 250 mile road trips every 6 weeks or so and would do same with the next car. I might sell the old chevy this year and would use the next car for all driving.

The Prius would have higher ongoing cost for registration and insurance, but perhaps lower maintenance cost would balance that out. My driving style is roughly 3000 miles a year and conservative. The 5 speed civic averaged 50+ mpg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vskid3 View Post
You could get an EV like a Fiat 500e or Spark EV for under $10k or a Volt if you occasionally need more range. There should be plenty of cheaper Prii in California.

That's good to know. I'm interested in EVs but don't know much about them. My one way trips are usually 125 miles, with a garage and smart charger at each end. I don't know if the chargers would work with hybrids or EVs but I could get new ones. I would like the car to be at least as safe as the civic was (which wasn't much) and no smaller.

Last edited by j12piprius; 04-24-2018 at 09:38 PM..