View Single Post
Old 04-26-2018, 06:04 AM   #29 (permalink)
elhigh
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
I have a first gen Civic Hybrid with the 5MT, no gear grind issues at 200,000 miles but I use 3rd for decel instead of 2nd. It's been a great car but you have to be willing to do occasional battery maintenance. Nothing too terrible but every few months a grid charge to equalize the pack, and every couple of grid charges, a deep discharge for a complete equalization.

I also have an 09 Prius. Mine has about 203k on it. Paid about $5000 -some cosmetic issues. Keep on top of the oil levels but aside from that it's a great car. I don't know where the upkeep comment came from, this has been a very painless car to own.

I drove a 2nd gen Insight, it's nice enough but small. Noticeably smaller than the Prius, definitely a four person car, not five. I've heard enough bad experiences with Honda CVTs however, so no sale.

If it were me, I'd look at Prii or manual Civic Hybrid. Ford hybrids use a similar setup to the Prius, so a Fomoco hybrid might be worth considering if one is in the market, especially the plug in models.

And strongly consider a Volt. Coworker has one for about four years now, loves it. He gasses up about once a month.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.

Last edited by elhigh; 04-26-2018 at 06:11 AM..