View Single Post
Old 05-03-2018, 03:49 AM   #18 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Having recently seen a few “I want to build an RV” threads (which takes years away from the object: going camping), figured I’d bump this back up.

HP demand.

On a typical RV day of travel (1968 or 2018) of around 300-350/miles, how much time is spent at that HP demand number? Five or six hours?

How many days per year as the average RV’er covers 5,000-miles? Fifteen?

I wouldn’t recommend fixating on those hours as the solution to less expensive vacation travel. As MeteorGray notes above, how much one has into the thing PLUS longevity, is more telling.

Airstream aerodynamics are such that pushing past them isn’t worth the effort.

The “less expensive“ route is an Airstream model that works great behind the family vehicle (most all of them). Is about ten years old so that depreciation is nil, and systems still close to new.

Both vehicles will spend 90% of their lives stationary. Reducing the number of stops (or cold starts from the campsite for a solo run) for supplies replenishment (water, ice, groceries, propane) NOT just tow vehicle fuel is how the game is played.

That’s the larger picture.

Next up is longevity. My vintage kin Silver Streak will be thirty years old next year. Looks close to new. Only now am having to replace some items and re-decorate. (Its contemporary square white plastic box travel trailers were tripped into the landfill years ago).

How long will you keep it?

(Let that question guide the rest).