View Single Post
Old 05-03-2018, 08:10 AM   #18 (permalink)
westb87
No idea what I'm doing

Sleek - '04 Honda Civic Coupe LX
90 day: 36.38 mpg (US)

Broomstick - '18 Volkswagen Atlas SE w/ Tech & 4Motion
90 day: 21.66 mpg (US)
I'm a fan of Amsoil products (as are many) but I'm also very partial to Redline's SI-1. It's got more PEA (the stuff that Techron is known for) than any of the other fuel additives on the market and I can pick up a bottle of the stuff at my local O'Reilly Auto Parts. I'm currently burning down a tank of SI-1 mixed in with Shell gas. Before I owned her, the car was owned by my sister-in-law who cared for the car enough not to kill it, but knows absolutely nothing about maintenance and used cheap gas. She took the car in regularly for service at quick-lube places, but I don't trust them (just before I bought the car, the quick-lube place put ATF if the PS reservoir...). Anywho, I exclusively use Shell gas (Chevron in a pinch on a road trip) and I've noticed that during this first tank of Shell gas and the SI-1 mixed in, the engine runs smoother and the injectors are a bit quieter. I plan to just run a bottle of SI-1 every oil change and hope that it, in combination with Shell gas, will keep my injectors and combustion chamber deposit free. It feels better anyway.

There's some good discussion of the various PEA containing fuel system cleaners over at BITOG. Here's the link if you care to read.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...Number=1865221

Broomstick (2018 Volkswagen Atlas SE w/ Technology & 4Motion All-Wheel Drive), Auto 8-speed with "Tip-tronic". The Family 'Wagen...also the weapon of choice of the "Wicked Witch of the Wests" a.k.a The Wife.