View Single Post
Old 05-08-2018, 11:09 AM   #145 (permalink)
mpg_numbers_guy
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
90 day: 64.01 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by westb87 View Post
I live in Alabama...

While I'm quite comfortable in 90degree heat at 90-95% humidity, I can't do it in a vehicle. I've been in Afghanistan, Kuwait, Uzbekistan, Oman, Saudi Arabia, and Jordan. All hot (sometimes VERY cold too!) and I loved the heat. However...that heat always had some wind to it. I get in a car with that super stale air and I turn into a complete ninny!
So far the highest it's gotten outside is 79, and my car was probably in the 90s lol. I need to remember to leave my windows open...but so far I've only used the AC once, and that was when it was icy and I didn't have time to thoroughly scrape off my car (unless I wanted to speed and get worse FE lol).

Quote:
...except for that first startup where I've got the AC completely blasting to bring the temp of the car back down...
Cha-ching, cha-ching.

Quote:
I'm not using my windows down because of 2 reasons.

Reason 1: I have that SWEET llumar CTX 15 tint on all my glass and Air 80 on the front and the difference in felt infrared heat with windows up and down is astounding.
Reason B : My headliner is sagging and riding with the windows down is making it worse. Once I remove the headliner to do some sound dampening and repair the headliner itself, I'll probably do more windows down cruising.
I want to tint my windows sometime to help with blocking some of the heat. Sometime.

Quote:
...you can live efficient with everything you get so when the time does come for you to be older and want to splurge a bit and reward yourself, you won't have to feel guilty and you'll instead feel satisfied. You've earned it. Keep it up my man!
I'm trying! Hitting the grind now so I don't have to hit the brakes and grind away later on in life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
When it's time for tire replacement, you might try going narrower. Narrow tires are supposed to have a bit higher rolling resistance, but in practice most see better MPG by going more narrow (aero? weight?), and that will give you some room for your skirts.
Narrower, LRR tires are definitely on my list, especially after this first wheel skirt failure. However my current tires are basically new (<2000 miles on them) so that won't be for a while.

One thing though, would narrower tires necessitate getting new wheels as well?

-----------------------

Oh, on another note, coming back from school today I managed 49.2 mpg over only a 5 mile trip. Haven't gotten above 48 mpg on a trip under 10 miles before (My trip to school was 42.5 mpg, but that was on a completely cold engine and with a minute or two of stop 'n' go traffic). Fine tuning your driving technique and perfecting your route really does help!

The irony though when everyone else is revving gas-guzzling trucks on their way through the parking lot while I'm coasting in neutral and am basically silent.

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)