View Single Post
Old 05-10-2018, 07:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
westb87
No idea what I'm doing

Sleek - '04 Honda Civic Coupe LX
90 day: 36.38 mpg (US)

Broomstick - '18 Volkswagen Atlas SE w/ Tech & 4Motion
90 day: 21.66 mpg (US)
Update again!

I took the mudflaps off yesterday because the two front ones were dangling enough to look unsightly and I figured they weren't helping my mileage.

On my way in to work this morning I got an average of 47mpg! That's a jump from 43.6mpg earned during yesterday's commute. Could those mudflaps really have been parachuting the car THAT much?! My instant MPG readout at 50mph hovered around 60-65mpg and my readout at 60mph was around 42-50mpg. The car's temp was hovering around 204-207 degrees, which is still warmer than I'd like. When it hit 207, I'd hit the A/C button (I was just running the fan on the lowest setting otherwise) and let it cycle down to about 195 before I'd cut it off again. I assume that running the AC (and it's obligate running of the e-fans) yesterday afternoon is what kept the car cooler during my commute home.

Broomstick (2018 Volkswagen Atlas SE w/ Technology & 4Motion All-Wheel Drive), Auto 8-speed with "Tip-tronic". The Family 'Wagen...also the weapon of choice of the "Wicked Witch of the Wests" a.k.a The Wife.