View Single Post
Old 05-11-2018, 11:46 AM   #375 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasoline Fumes View Post
I'll admit I don't know the effects of lash on emissions. But increasing lash will reduce lift and duration, which is what you want for low-RPM. Most of my driving is at 1200-1500 RPM and I noticed a slight improvement in torque with excessive lash. And a lot more noise!
I am no expert, either. Here is the main text I have been examining... it is called "THE IMPACT OF VALVE EVENTS UPON ENGINE PERFORMANCE AND EMISSIONS" and the best way to get it is probably through a google search for the title. It is a PDF. I downloaded it without trouble so it seems safe. Take a look at how it explains the effects of timing valves. Lots of subtlety but in pretty ordinary language. Really useful. See if you read it the way I did.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
Gasoline Fumes (05-11-2018)