View Single Post
Old 05-13-2018, 05:05 PM   #218 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
No idea why the 250s weigh more than my 17 year old CB600. You can probably find my bike for $2k used. It would get 75 MPG if you geared it taller and drove it like a granny.
Two answers to this:

1. They don't weigh more than your Honda. 17 years ago manufacturers listed "dry" weights. No fuel, no brake fluid, no oil, no fork oil, no battery acid, no coolant, no anything liquid that adds weight. The dry weight for a CBR600F4i is 370 lbs. The "wet" weight (all fluids ready to ride) is 435 lbs. A 2018 Honda CBR300R weighs 357 lbs wet.

2. The other answer is that your CBR was Honda's race bike and lots of effort went into making it as light as possible. Aluminum frame, lightweight wheels, etc. I remember reading Sport Rider magazine in the 90's and 00's and every year there articles listing every way a manufacturer shaved a few grams of weight here or there.

250's are not race bikes, they are budget bikes dressed up to look like race bikes. Steel frames, budget suspension and wheels, every effort is made to make them cheap to manufacture and shaving weight costs money.