View Single Post
Old 05-14-2018, 08:34 AM   #107 (permalink)
Bense
EcoModding Lurker

I'm willing to bet that the inefficiency attributed to the increase in polar moment of inertia from larger diameter tires isn't enough to justify the switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
I am no expert but 48mpg is at the low end, the guy above you has 60+ mpg in his garage.

If we wanted under 50 I guess your right
Y'all are focusing too much on the numerical value that Bone mentioned that you're completely missing the point. The point is that gearing isn't going to change as much of the engine's efficiency as some of y'all seem to think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysler kid View Post
I've had an s20 trans in an hx, and a factory s40 trans in an hx. For my driving style the shorter gearing was more efficient and easier to drive.

The worst hx I've ever had, had the original s40 long gear with an aftermarket store brand clutch and flywheel. I would have to red line the car just to keep up with traffic merging into the freeway
This is ambiguous.
's20' is any 92-95 civic D-series trans
's40' is any 96-00 civic D-series trans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoBennie View Post
I have an 01 insight 5 speed. apparently the FD is swappable with the 01-05 D17 gear boxes. I want to swap the D17 with HX trans and Insight 3.2 FD. Engine will be turbocharged and I estimate a 200whp output.
This might seem to be the case, as the 1g insight 5MT and the 7g USDM civic D17 5MT share a lot in common. However, direction that the helical gears are cut are backwards from one another. D17 is a counter clockwise (CCW) engine, whereas insight is CW.

I have yet to see anyone on here convert their D16 (such as d16y7 or d16y8) 96-00 civic engine so that it can run the D16y5 head. This is what you guys should be doing. On a d16y7, y'all should do a 'mini-me' head swap, and then run the HX ecu, along with a 5-wire o2 sensor so that you can get the ECUs lean-burn activated. -- If you've got a D16y8, all you gotta do is swap the cam + rocker assembly + intake manifold. You can even use parts from a d16b5 (GX engine) like I did in 2006.

If you're using a d17, mimic it as closely as you can to the 01-05 HX. Use gearing to keep the engine in lean burn mode according to whatever speed you drive.

Don't use aluminum flywheels, use chromoly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcin_t View Post
gearspeedwholesale.com/product_p/oegs-lx5gs.htm

it's quite expensive but it fits! and its ratio 0.71 or 0.710

I have found on other forum also something like this:

23461-PLW-C00
23581-PLW-C00

But nobody mention nothing about ger ratio on this parts and ai can't find that information nowhere.

But I cant find info

are there any manuals where I can find gear ratios and some information about dimensions of shafts etc. for European engines?

thanks in advance!
Marcin

The part numbers that you listed are the parts for both of the gears that you see listed on that gearspeed link. If you are overseas, it may be cheaper for you to purchase those two parts from your local Honda dealership.

27/38 = 0.7105263157894737

As you can see here, any specification listing of "0.710" is the result of truncating that ratio to 3 decimal places. "0.711" would be listed if the editor felt like rounding to 3 decimal places that day.

Be careful with some of the d17 transmissions in Europe, as some of them are derived from the F/H-series transmission, and they're dissimilar.
California98Civic (05-14-2018)