View Single Post
Old 05-17-2018, 06:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Bummer

Are there other mechanics you can use from now on? It is experiences like this that convince me to work on my own car--that and mechanics require payment. How dare they?!

I found out to spray silicone into the hole from this video:

Then he said to use this machinist's pick to pull out the boot: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...d4606f7902f458

I did not want to wait for shipping, so I went to Harbor Freight, where I found a similar set of four picks for $4. None of them were the right size. I heated a straight one on the stove and bent it 90°, but when it seemed like I had the pick all of the way in, I could not catch any edges to pry the boot loose. When I used needlenose priers it broke off a chunk. I ended up using a big screwdriver to break it into chunks and then removed that with a "combat" flashlight and a pick.

I finally removed all of the hard plastic, but could not seat the spark plug puller. There was a ring of charred rubber (silicone?), which took quite a while to extract, but I made sure to spray the hole with compressed air until nothing came out and dried out all of the lubricant that I could.

Zero PSI. In fact, I tested the remaining two cylinders and according to my compression tester all cylinders put out 0 PSI, but when I clamped the gauge and watched it from the driver's seat, each hit about 60 PSI.

I am going to rent one from Autozone and try to figure out which component is bad, but I doubt I will have any luck exchanging it.

Lifetime warranty...