View Single Post
Old 05-25-2018, 02:14 PM   #28 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Whenever I see reports about this 4-cyl engine and the straight-6 Diesel, it reminds me of some talks I had about 10 years ago with a guy who claimed to prefer a straight-4 over a V6 in the same displacement range or a straight-6 over a V8 under the same circumstance. It's still quite surprising to find out a 4-cyl would make its way into a full-size truck in America, not to mention Ford with a V6 becoming the top of the range in the F-150.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
Does that mean 3 cylinder sedans are in the future (besides the Mirage)?
It would be quite surprising if GM ever releases a 3-cyl sedan in the American market. Well, IIRC the 3-cyl engine offered in the Metro was only available for the hatch... But anyway, sometimes it seems quite reasonable to envision a broader usage of 3-cyl engines instead of confining them in the entry-level segment. But anyway, if Ford wasn't going to focus on trucks and SUVs, it has a 3-cyl 1.5L engine already on the shelf (maybe it could make its way into the Transit Connect)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
Seems like a lot of wasted space up front, maybe they could add a turbo heated BBQ grill up there. Have some ribs ready when you get to your destination.
Search for "costela na turbina" on YouTube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa8907 View Post
I think the 2.7 turbo 4cyl will be great. My only fear/doubt is that it won't be the base engine but an option... that no one wants.
I wouldn't hold my breath for this engine to become a best-seller, but it may become a good contender to the 2.7L Ecoboost, since most Americans still tend to look at the amount of cylinders either as a premium feature or as a sign of engine efficiency. Pointless at all, but that might eventually work as a sales argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bonestock88 View Post
Honestly I’m surprised they used a 3.0L in-line six diesel when they already had the 2.8L Duramax that’s being used in the Colorado and the G series van
Considering this engine already has better power and torque figures than a version of the Cummins ISF2.8 (which served as a base for the R2.8 crate engine) currently used in the Brazilian F-350, the 2.8L Duramax would serve just right. Well, let's wait and see if that could eventually become available for fleet order.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
GM has a fully designed 4.5 liter duramax diesel intended for the Suburban and other 1/2 tonners mothballed
Even though that 4.5L Duramax seemed quite promising, not just for the 1/2-tonners but eventually also making its way into the HDs (when I saw some reports on that engine in 2007, there were speculations that it would effectively replace the 6.6L Duramax across the entire range, much like the 5.6L variant of the Cummins ISV5.0 which was quoted to be used as a replacement for the ISB5.9 in the Dodge Ram range), the upcoming inline-6 seems to be more competitive. Well, even though I wouldn't hold my breath for the 4.5L Duramax V8 to be released anymore, I'd actually be curious about the eventual acceptance for a chain-driven DOHC Diesel in the class 2 and 3 trucks in America (considering that Ford keeps the OHV valvetrain only in the 6.7L Powerstroke, it might be a sign that a transition to either SOHC or DOHC in the Diesels might not be so straightforward as it seemed to be with the gassers).

Quote:
Suburban folks already asked GM for the 2.8 and got the its too small answer.
Unless the current generation of the Trailblazer eventually makes its way into the American market, that wouldn't be a valid excuse for GM to not offer the 2.8 in the Tahoe at least... But anyway, since the 2.8 is good enough for GM to use in the vans, it's clearly not too small for a Suburban.

Quote:
GM is saving face and avoiding cross shopping issues
Considering that GM has previously shared some engines across their compact and full-size truck ranges, such as the 4.3L V6 which used to be the top of the range in the S-10 and a base option from the C/K-series to the Silverado, some cross-shopping seems quite unlikely to happen at all.