View Single Post
Old 05-26-2018, 08:04 PM   #94 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bonestock88 View Post
So I’ve made more progress on the car... I now have a lawn edging air dam screwed to the bumper cover, and have reduced total grille area to a 1.5x29” strip at the top of the lower grille area... on two lone roads coolant temps stay around 190F, but on the freeway(where P&G isn’t plausible) and in hot weather(85F and up) coolant temps stay near 210F and on big hills climb to the cooling fan switch point(221F)...

Thankfully, I rarely ever use the freeway lol...

I need to load test the car and see how much load it takes to hold 55mph with these new tires and other mods...
I like the look of the car lot and congratulations on the air dam

I think those coolant temperatures might be considerably too high. I used to have an alarm set on mine to trigger any time the temperature went over 206 degrees. Now I have it set to go off whenever the coolant temperature goes over 200 degrees. I think the kinds of temperatures you're seeing could lead to premature head gasket failure.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.