View Single Post
Old 06-05-2018, 01:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Luno
EcoModding Lurker

Oh God, A Kangoo. Been there, Get over 85 kM/h and it drinks a lot. 6.2L/100kM highway was the best I could get going at lorry speed. Spare parts are extremely expensive and special tools for everything. I drive a Fiat Seicento 1.1 SPI from 1998 now. This car is not known for great mileage, mainly because of a very low gearing and slightly wider tires and I seriously believe that the Fiat test driver doing the test tried to drive very Italian. Luckily Fiat have struggled for decades to reduce consumption to pass increasing NEDEC driving cycle demands, and as parts are interchangeable between models I've managed to create quite the hypermiler: In 1999 they made the Seicento Suite model, that either came with a cloth roof or AC, both of which used more fuel, so they changed the gearbox for a 12% taller one. I got one of those. In 2000 they made the 4 injector MPI version of the Fiat Punto, which had a bigger engine so worse consumption than the previous SPI models, so they used a milder camshaft with less overlap. I got one of those too. I drive Ecopia B381 tires on 4.5" wide 14" rims which also increased the gearing by another 9%. Driving 50kM/h (or 35mph) in 5'th now happens at 1300 rpm. Interior is gutted, including rear cushion frame. Weight with me in it on a lorry scale was 690kg with spare tire and everything, that is 1521 pounds, without me that would be 1345. Factory nameplate dry weight stamped in the trunk is 610kg. Weight saving include 40 pounds saved on lightweight (6 kg each) rims and tires. 100 pounds interior and spare wheel. also some pounds on unused spot welded brackets and superfluous auxiliary systems around the car, like rear wiper with motor and more than one outside mirror, the whole heater blower motor and associated plastic and cardboard moulding (now using 4 server 80mm fans and ducting straight from the front grille, with pwm control), A cheap after-market 4A radiator fan connected with strips directly to the radiator instead of the original heavy metal frame thing made by Fiat and a 300g crap radio instead of the 90' Sony head unit that weighted 4 pounds. BTW, Passes MOT every time.

Last edited by Luno; 06-05-2018 at 02:06 AM..