Thread: Wheel bearings
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2018, 09:32 AM   #13 (permalink)
oil pan 4
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,522 Times in 2,796 Posts
The only sealed hubs I try to grease are those on my riding lawn mowers blade spindles.
I used to just run them till they failed, they last 2 years max.
Usually they would fail in the first part of the mowing season. Itwould appear that left over water causing corrosion over the winter does them in.
It all started when I thought I had a spindle going bad again earlier this year, so I took the old spindle off, put the new one on then I looked at the old one to determine failure, but it was fine.
So I pried the cover off the bearings, scooped out as much old grease as possible, put 3 drops of mobil1 85w-140 gear oil on the bearings then packed as much synthetic lithium complex grease as I could into the exposed side of the bearing. Reinstalled the covers.
Then I did the same to spindle on the other side, the other spindle, the good one was basically dry, if it didn't go out this year then probably first thing next year.
I noticed the spindle turned easier after doing this on both spindles.
When I put the mower away this fall I will do it again, to both spindles. If the bearings get fresh oil and grease just before I put the mower away for the winter they shouldn't be able to rust.
Replacementspindles are about $35 each from a local store, I can get them for nearly half that if I can wait a week for them to be snail mailed. But the quality of the no name fly by night Internet sourced blade spindle units is questionable.

So for a little time, a few drops of oil and about 2 to 3 CC of grease I can:
Save money
Reduce breakdowns
Reduce waste
Increase productivity and stay on schedule

I have no idea if this is even an option on ford exploder wheel bearings.
My old suburban and firebird have front spindles that I can take apart and service. Just because something is newer doesn't automatically mean it's better.

Last edited by oil pan 4; 06-10-2018 at 09:41 AM..