View Single Post
Old 06-13-2018, 11:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bonestock88 View Post
I don’t call that lugging, I call it good tall gearing... on two lane roads I P&G up to 60(2200RPM) and back down to 40(~1500 RPM)... on the freeway I cruise at 75-ish at just under 3000... my speedo is uncalibrated for my tire size increase of 5.3% so I’m sure I’m driving faster than I need to... however, on the topic of lugging, I’ll use engine power from as low as 1000 RPM in 5th gear, and from as low as ~800 in 4th and down... I feel that the key is to slowly roll onto the throttle and only use 40-50% load until you’re under way and over 1000
It's all about what's on the brake specific fuel consumption map. Your method might work really well. I think there's a map out there for a 1.9 liter Saturn engine. Have you seen it? I left a something out of my response in moment ago. My wheels are more aero, probably. I replaced open spoked VX 13" wheels with 15" 7 hole MINI rims, but I blanked the seven holes for a "smooth" surface. Here it is before I put the wheel skirt back on:

I thought it looked a little better than just using moon eyes.

EDIT: here it is I'll upload it for you if you haven't seen it:

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.