View Single Post
Old 10-07-2008, 09:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
kimer6
EcoModding Apprentice

Diesel Metro Po Po Unit

I used a Suzuki G13 flywheel, 7.5 inch clutch, pressure plate and got rid of the Kubota boat anchor flywheel. I bored the flywheel ID fit for a snug fit to the crankshaft. Bolt holes need to be egg shaped, no biggie as this is under 500 horsepower. Need to make a 1/2 inch 1/4 inch deep hole in the crank end to allow for the tranny input shaft clearance. The transaxle I have is from a 4 cylinder Metro and has the tall gears. All of the others 5 speeds will fit but have different final ratios. This is a 900cc 3 cylinder 24 hp diesel Kubota 905 engine.

The 1/2 inch thick steel plate adapter I made just so happens by pure accident to locate the trans/flywheel/engine block in the stock gas engine location. I used the Kubota geared starter and switched it to opposite side of the engine, turned it upside down to fit the transaxle. More majic...the starter depth engages perfectly as mounted on the unaltered engine face of the steel adapter plate.

2 of the 3 motor mounts needed no modifications. The engine motor mount was modified to bolt to the frame rail, used the stock rubber mount.

Much of the wiring on the Kubota will be patched into the stock wiring harness. There will be MINIMAL mods to the car such that I can put the gas engine back in within 4 hours. The testing will be done with a small diesel fuel tank inside the passenger floor, the stock gas tank will be left untouched for now.

I removed the A/C unit as there is no room for an extra pulley next to the frame. The Kubota is slightly longer than the gas 3 cylinder engine. It should be noted that the 1.3 liter 4 cylinder engine has the transaxle moved about 4inches toward the driver's side. Maybe I will move everything later but the 4 cylinder axles need to be used as they are different lengths than the 3 cylinder uses. Too late to start now.

The one picture shows a new Mitsubishi turbo. I have an intercooler as well and may mount these for testing especially if the engine is really gutless. We'll see. Unfortunately I have a real job training monkeys to tig weld and this project has been stalled for the last 6 weeks.

I started the diesel while coupled to the transaxle before dropping it in the frame. There was no unusual vibration. noise, and the odd couple Kubota starter/Suzuki flywheel sounded sweet.

I need to make the coolant lines, attach the heater lines, and make an exhaust system, rig the throttle cable, and rig fuel lines to get this on the road. SOON! (I hope). Keep ya posted...Kim.... dats me in da pic so don't send no kisses.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flywheel.JPG
Views:	1830
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	1889   Click image for larger version

Name:	g13 flywheel.JPG
Views:	1575
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	1890   Click image for larger version

Name:	adapter.JPG
Views:	1539