View Single Post
Old 01-24-2008, 08:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
AndrewJ
Awesomeness personified

Harold - '94 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 54.51 mpg (US)

Margot - '08 Surly Big Dummy
Send a message via AIM to AndrewJ
Margo II: the build (project thread)

So as you may or may not know, Harold and I recently parted with our good friend Margot.

She was a good bike, but there's a new utility-bike coming soon that will be better suited to my needs.
Since said bike will only be sold as a frameset, I'll soon be building up my first bike from scratch.
Funny thing is that I believe the hard part is already over. It turns out that just choosing the parts is an unbelievably tough thing to do. The choices are truly endless, but at the same time, there are pretty strict limits to part-compatibility.
Do you need a front derailleur with a 28.6mm clamp or a 31.8mm?? Now just a dozen more little things like that...

So here's what I have amassed so far.

The keen-eyed among you may notice two seatposts, (neither of which is the correct one) and two front derailleurs (one of which is the right one). I learned a few of those parts-compatability lessons the hard way.

Shown above:
Nitto Albatross handlebars
120mm 15 degree rise stem
Shellacked cork grips
Shimano Dura-Ace bar end shifters
Tektro brake levers
Avid BB7 brakes (203mm front and 165mm rear)
Brooks B73 saddle
FSA the pig pro DH headset
Sugino MTB crankset with 42-32-22 rings
11-34t nine-speed cassette
26" 36 spoke disc brake wheelset
Shimano XT rear derailleur
Shimano XT front derailleur
Kalloy seatpost
Eggbeater mallet pedals
Various cables
Two 9-speed chains

And here's what I don't have yet.

Hopefully I will pick it up around February 25, when I'm back in Missouri. This particular frameset has had it's release date pushed back countless times now, but it's supposed to come out in mid-Feb, so I'm keepin' hope alive.

I know the thread's a little premature, but I couldn't help myself
I'm gettin' too excited about it not to post.