View Single Post
Old 11-13-2008, 12:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
trebuchet03
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
It's Floworks - a part of the Solidworks suite (yay College ) - it's actually doing a 3D analysis, but I'm restricting it to a thin area.

While it may seem I'm putting a lot of time, really, I'm setting up a model and hitting run before I go to bed. The model took me about 15 minutes to build off a photograph and then another 5 minutes to setup the CFD suite.

Theory vs. physical is a valid point... You can have a sound theory, but physical application doesn't work... But, to waste cycles on building something that doesn't work on the theoretical level is not something I'm interested in. Concept -> theory -> optimize -> compromise -> refine -> implement is more or less the linear flow I'm following. Besides, what's good enough to the auto mfr's, Lockheed, Siemens, Boeing, Airbus, Nasa, etc. etc. etc. is good enough for me - Analyze first, then build They didn't build the 787 before modeling and analyzing it