View Single Post
Old 12-14-2008, 04:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
MPaulHolmes
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
First draft schematic

Hey, Intrigued, if only teachers could whoop students as if they were a red-headed step child, I would teach for free. If you are going to be excited about each post, I'll have to really make sure I actually have something interesting to report!

This is a modified version of Ian's "speedy" controller. His was for a 24v trolley. This version is 72v, and powers the mosfets and the micro-controller with the 12v auxiliary battery (that powers the lights and blinkers and other stuff). It doesn't share a common ground with the battery pack.

Notice that the PWM output from the ATMega8 is the PWM input into the gate driver. The driver amplifies the PWM signal, and then opens the floodgates of all the mosfets at the same time!

By the way, if you have ever wondered why a pre-charge resistor is important, it's because there are TONS of huge capacitors inside the controller! They don't like to be short circuited! OOH, so we need just a little more stuff inside that schematic to have it pre-charge when the 12v battery power is applied.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike Controller JPG.jpg
Views:	11447
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	2389  

Last edited by MPaulHolmes; 12-16-2008 at 01:49 AM..