View Single Post
Old 03-02-2009, 02:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
frugal builder
EcoModding Lurker

A manual valve body will eliminate a portion of Automatic trans power waste. It will shift like nothing else, though. There is no RPM reduction during the gear change so the torque converter will be the only place to absorb the shock. The joints in the driveline will need to be of excellent quality. Wet weather drivability will be something that will need to be delt with. It will be so much fun, you may never see a mileage improvement. Build it into a clutchflite and it will be very efficient. What a blast.
The trans can always be reverted to the auto valve body. Use a Transgo shift kit with the low "improved" install if you return it and you'll be happy. They will short shift under light throttle input unless the load is high such as low speed and a steep grade.
Oh, I have lived with them both on the street. 1700 lb car with an 8000 RPM 383 and a 727 with a 4.56 gear set and 31 inc tall slicks had the Cheetah manual valve body. Loved it!!! Never once did fuel use enter my mind. I've had a few shift kit equipped TFs. they all returned better mileage and cooler trans temps. Slippery road conditions need to be addressed with driving adjustments.