View Single Post
Old 03-03-2009, 05:12 PM   #25 (permalink)
Bicycle Bob
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
Hi Sepp;
Great job! I just found this thread - wish I'd had a chance to give you some tips on handling the fiberglass. It really can be a lot easier. I'd have unrolled full-width cloth across the wood, and for polyester, really heated up the wood. Then, I'd pour a puddle of resin on the middle, and quickly squeegee it out to the edges. By using unwaxed resin, you get a tacky surface that will bond well to a coat of Gel-Coat over that. The final coat has wax mixed in to keep air off the surface and allow a full cure.
The Gel-Coat is easy to sand, polish, and patch as you go for a perfect finish. If you can't arrange to spray it on, a coat with a notched trowel, followed by a coat with a regular trowel might work a lot better than brushing it on.
Epoxy is excellent for waterproofing to eliminate swelling, provided it is a continuous coating. I often keep leftover, mixed epoxy in the freezer to use for touchups - if it is properly mixed, you just have to heat it up and wait for hardening. It does not have a sudden transition like polyester.
For truck caps in general, I keep hoping to see a side-hinged unit made of lightweight Coroplast.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bicycle Bob For This Useful Post:
mwade82 (03-11-2020)