View Single Post
Old 02-10-2008, 01:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
bestmapman
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by basjoos View Post
Wow, nice project. It'll be interesting to see what kind of mileage improvement (especially at highway speeds) you can get out of a Prius with its Cd in the mid 0.10's.

I'm curious why you would want to delete the wipers when it would be fairly easy to make a windshield/deflector (as a rearward extension of the hood) that would keep the airflow from impacting the wipers, with the only drag penalty being the 1" high slot where the wiper would emerge from under the shield when being used. It would be interesting to see how they are handling the wiper on the Aptera, which also has a shielded wiper emerging from the base of the glass windshield.

Also are you considering installing a complete underpan, the partial underpan that comes on the stock Prius leaves a lot to be desired, aerodynamically speaking.
Thanks for the comments. Your probably right on the wiper shroud. The wipers on the Prius just stick right up in the windstream. I thought it would be easier to get rid of them and put them back on when needed with a quick attach fitting. Rear wiper is gone already.

I hadn't considered the upderpan so I am adding this also to my list.

If you ever get up in Kentucky, I would be real interested in seeing your mods up close.

the first thing I did was add aerohubcaps and rear wiper delete.

The next thing that I am going to do is the rear wheel skirts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03245b.jpg
Views:	992
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	311   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03252a.jpg
Views:	985
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	312