View Single Post
Old 02-12-2008, 10:58 AM   #106 (permalink)
metroschultz
Master EcoModder

CPT SLO - '93 GEO Metro plainjane
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

SilverHairBeauty - '01 Toyota Avalon XL
90 day: 24.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to metroschultz
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_john View Post
OLd Rabbits are aero inefficient. In fact a stock rabbit can only go 70MPH on 52HP. They rust out too, mine has a full length aluminum frame between the bottom and the belly pan. i was going to suggest a little diesel/gen. in back, but didn't. One that would burn about a pint an hour wide open.
I beg to differ with you sir. An older Rabbit will indeed go over 70mph.
In 1991 I owned a 1978 Rabbit. I drove 125 miles one way to work, yes 250 round trip.
I sped a lot to save time.
I lost my license for tripping the Radar @ 114mph.
Boy was my wife P!$$ed.
It took every penny we had and could scrape up to get my license back.
Everything in the car was stock. When I sold the car it had 300k+ on the odometer and still running strong.
I had many driving related problems during that period of my life. I'm better now.

I would like to get another one, it was a fun car to drive. But it was a very basic car, not unlike my Geo in that respect. Engine, wheels, brakes, seat. Everything else was optional, even the steering wheel.

But it would definitely not be the most aerodynamic car you could start with. Basically a brick with wheels.
You could call it "Bricky Nelson"

S.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.
Albert Einstein