View Single Post
Old 04-11-2009, 11:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
uabcar
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucepick View Post
Hmm.
Maybe one can tap into a solenoid on that engine to learn when it's in lean burn?
OK, I'm wandering off topic. But I thank you for the idea!
The D16Y5 has only two modes. Might be a bit easier to determine which solenoid is responsible.

From what I can tell, the R18 has two items that look like solenoids. One on the top has a two wire connector. I tried to tap into this one (actually just disconnected it and attached my volt meter to the two terminals). In this test, the connector was not attached to the solenoid so that may have been the reason my results were somewhat inconclusive. During this test, I got a constant voltage of 3.2-3.8 volts. Did not seem to change based on rpm. I did notice that the engine stumbled when I hit 3500rpms though. I backed off right away and was not able to glance over at the volt meter.

The second (and third?) solenoid has three wires going into it. I assume this to be two 12v positive leads and a ground. Unfortunately this solenoid(s) is located on the lower backside of the motor (pass side) and there is no slack in the wire/connector so it's not going to be as easy to test.

My guess -a total guess really - is that the two solenoids at the bottom are involved with engaging the econ lobes and the one on the top disengages them.

Ideally someone with a factory service manual can help identify the leads from the main wiring harness.