View Single Post
Old 04-17-2009, 02:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
uabcar
EcoModding Lurker

Thumbs up Got it working

Hey everyone- I figured it out - with the help of a guy on the 8thcivic forums who has a FSM.

I'll more detail later (or if you like there is a thread in the mechanical/technical forum where I've discussed it in some detail).

It turns out that the wire you need to tap is right on top of the engine. Per my earlier post containing a link to the picture of the i-vtec setup, the solenoid on top has two wires going to it. On my car (2008) these wires are black and black w/a white stripe. You need to tap the black w/white striped wire. This will give you a positive signal for the LED (and you then ground the other leg of the LED).

I've got it rigged up temporarily but plan to complete everything this weekend. I'll be adding a relay, fuses and resisters to the circuit when doing the permanent install.

This is a very cool little mod as I can now monitor when I'm in econ mode and not.

One quick observation, even when below 3500RPMs on the highway, if you are over 70-75 (which is a bit above 3k on my 5MT EX) you have to be very light on the gas. You have a bit more room in the 55-65 range before it will disengage.