Transmission: manual
Curb weight: 2630 lbs
Coefficient of drag: 0.38
Frontal area: 19.75 sq.ft.
Instrumentation: vacuum gauge
Description: 1.8L 5spd 4x4, 220k miles as of 5/1/2011
Winter: 185/70R13 Hankook snow tires @ 44psi
Summer: 165/80R13 Primewells (cheap) @ 44psi

Used for daily freeway commutes in the winter, I try to ride my bike in the summer. And almost every weekend, I head to the mountians with friends and gear.
Build Thread:
Current Mods: A/C Delete (Fuse)
Fuel Injector Kill Switch
Coolant Temp Sensor Potentiometer
Clutching Fan Delete - Added Electric Fan
Power Steering Pump Delete
Side Mirror Delete - Added Internal Mirrors
Mostly-Flush Hubcaps
Mud-flap Delete
Flush Turn Signals
Lower Grill Block
Heated O2 Sensor
Synthetic Engine & Transmission & Diff Oil
Synthetic Wheel Bearing Grease (F)
Idle Air Control Valve Restrictor
Block Heater 400W

Timeline:

1/2010
Pulled the A/C fuse so I can run the defogger without engaging the compressor.

Installed injector kill switch and vacuum gage.

9/2010
Removed mudflaps & passenger-side mirror.
Installed lawn edging air dam.

Found some more aerodynamic hubcaps from a 1986 subaru.

11/2010
Removed clutching radiator fan, still have the electric fan next to it.

Pulled the power steering pump, drained & capped the lines - way less steering effort than engine-off coasting with the pump installed!

Added a 100k stereo potentiometer in parallel with the coolant temp sensor to reduce open-loop cold startup enrichment. Upgraded from 1-wire to heated O2 sensor, I think it needed a replacement anyway. Runs way better in the mornings!

Changed the rear diff oil to synthetic, Mobil 1 75w90.

Removed the air dam in preparation for front undertray.

Lower coroplast grill block, faired from the bottom of the bumper, very sleek. Upper grill still open.

2/2011
New front wheel bearings, seals, & synthetic grease. The car coasts from a stop noticeably quicker on cold mornings! New Brembo rotors, $17 from drivewire.com, can't beat that. New hatch struts & wiper motor, fixed the rear door seals. My car is now smooth, quiet, and functional!
Unplugged the Idle Air Control Valve, which was sticking open. Difficult to keep it from stalling, but it will DFCO down to a low idle, which it wouldn't do with the IACV plugged in.

3/2011
Removed driver's side mirror and installed interior side mirrors. Driver's side works great, passenger side is not very useful because of the sight lines.

4/2011
Muffler fell off - WHAT? Lubed-up the IACV (no more heel-toe to prevent stalling!) and added an orifice, a 3/16" hole drilled into a dime, stuffed into the IACV inlet hose. This reduced warm-up idle from 2000RPM to 1100RPM. Added a 400W block heater, found a radiator leak Compression check: 165-170 on all cylinders at 220,000 miles!

Planned Mods: I just picked up a dual range transmission to swap in when I do the clutch. 10-speed, here I come!

An undertray has been on my list for a long time now, I may get around to it soon! Plan to remove the rear halfshafts once new snow stops falling. That way I won't be spinning the rear diff & driveshaft.
Official Fuel Economy Ratings
EPA city 21 mpg(US)
EPA highway 26 mpg(US)
EPA combined 23 mpg(US)

Actual Fuel Economy Performance
Lifetime 32.62 mpg(US)
Last 3 tanks 35.6 mpg(US)
90 days 33.43 mpg(US)
View Fuel Log
Last updated: Apr 30, 2012

(Created: 2009-12-24 17:59:24 / Modified: 2012-05-25 14:15:08)