Purchased from 3rd owner with just over 300,000 miles on the odometer.
Helga was purchased with the goal of using her as a donor for the economy kit car being designed by the founder of FFR (Factory Five Racing), Mark Smith, as part of a new venture called Smythe Performance (see thread here: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/new-kit-car-jetta-w-tdi-14154.html).
Goal is to get familiar enough with Helga and TDI's in general so that there are no (or at least "few") surprises during the kit car build.
The following mods have been done:
Goodyear Ecopia LRR tires at ~50psi
Metal skid plate under engine
Rear axle-back belly pan
High temp thermostat
- 205° F t'stat, but keeps temps at ~213° F
Low viscosity oil
- 0w-30 Castrol Syntec Eurospec
- OEM piece; was missing on my car (and probably is missing on the majority of early MkIVs)
A few drivetrain mods:
Larger fuel injectors (from transporter)
Stage 1 Rocketchip tune
Taller 5th gear (0.681)
Mufflerectomy (muffler removal)
- Doesn't do anything for FE, but does allow the belly pan to fit better
Lowered by 1.5 inches
- H&R Sport springs with Koni STR.T shocks & struts
Since the goal is to convert this to a kit car, only mild aero mods are planned: