BajaBlast!: 1990 Honda CRX DX
Displacement: 1.5 L
Fuel type: gasoline
Transmission: manual
Curb weight: 0 lbs
Coefficient of drag: 0.3
Frontal area: 0 sq.ft.
Instrumentation:
Description: This project began in 2011 when I bought two identical CRX's from a guy in Buffalo, NY for $1600. One was a multiple-accident survivor from Florida with a faded paint job, trashed interior, and no rear bumper, the other was a non-running Buffalo native with 21 years of rust to prove it. Using the shell from the first and some guts from the second, I gave new life to a Frankenstein in my girlfriend's backyard. A five-week trip home to NC allowed me to acquire and install a used D15Z1 and Federal HF transmission.

My goal with this project is to keep up with the most efficient commercially available vehicles of the day without the use of hybrid motor assist and batteries through continued modification until gasoline becomes obsolete. I also hope to eventually see the project pay for itself in gas savings and returns from the sale of spare parts.

project cost as of 07-31-12: $1,926

UPDATE: project paid for in gas savings alone after 5 years and roughly 70K miles! Several unrecorded tanks over 60mpg and a "high score" of 66mpg roundtrip from western New York to coastal Maine in summer 2013. Sold in July, 2016 for $2400, which went towards the down-payment on a used 2013 Chevy Volt (also blue)!
Build Thread:
Current Mods: Auto-Manual conversion with HF/VX transmission (HF 1st-4th, VX 0.702 5th, HF 2.95 final drive)
DPFI-MPFI conversion
D15Z1 swap (lean-burn vtec-e)
Dual inline catalytic converters (pointless? perhaps, but it was cheaper than new exhaust piping to replace the second cat)
Cruise control delete
A/C delete (reinstalled Aug. 2012)
Intake baffle chamber delete
VX lightweight aluminum wheels
Rear wiper delete
Vacuum gauge
HF exhaust

Planned Mods:
Official Fuel Economy Ratings
EPA city 25 mpg(US)
EPA highway 32 mpg(US)
EPA combined 28 mpg(US)

Actual Fuel Economy Performance
Lifetime 49.11 mpg(US)
Last 3 tanks 51.55 mpg(US)
90 days 49.73 mpg(US)
View Fuel Log
Last updated: Oct 14, 2012

(Created: 2011-10-05 10:17:44 / Modified: 2018-05-16 13:30:41)