High Voltage: 2012 Chevrolet Volt Premier
Displacement: 1.4 L
Fuel type: gas/electric hybrid
Transmission: automatic
Curb weight: 3781 lbs
Coefficient of drag: 0.28
Frontal area: 0 sq.ft.
Instrumentation:
Description: Traded in Ron Burgundy for this 2012 Volt Premier on October 1, 2016. I needed a four seater so we could throw the grandkids' car seats in the back, so the Insight had to go. After researching many hybrids and EVs I decided the Volt was the best bet. I live 19 miles from work and the Volt has a 35 mile EV range (which I knew I could extend), but I could also drive it to the keys if I wanted.

This Volt has the leather interior, heated seats, power everything, etc . . . the dealer lost the charging cord so they threw in a new one. The tires are brand new, the car has 51K miles on it and looks and drives like it's new. It had a single owner before me who traded it in for a 2017 Volt. It's hard to tell in the pics, but it's the greenish color that Chevy calls "Viridian Joule", whatever that means

For my fuel log I'm using the formula of 33.7 kWh = 1 gallon of "egas"

Pluses:
It doesn't look like a Prius or a Leaf, it looks like a car. A couple of people have said it looks sporty, I'm not sure about that one, but it's not fugly anyway
The seats are super comfortable (well, compared to my Insight's seats). I'm not a little guy and there's plenty of room, I don't feel cramped in the Volt
I'm pretty deaf, this is the first car I have ever been able to really carry on a conversation in, it's super quiet in EV mode!
Sport mode will push you back in the seat until you let off the pedal. This car has passing power
The mpge in EV mode is ridiculously amazing, and if I'm on a long trip it still gets around 40 mpg running the ICE. I'm pretty sure I could drive like a maniac in EV mode and still break 100 mpge
Charging it nightly isn't a hassle at all, after setting up the charging schedule the first time you just plug it in and walk away. In the morning you just unplug it and drive.
It takes bumps and railroad tracks great! I was pretty surprised by this, especially since I run max sidewall pressure. And it corners really well too (an important feature since hypermilers don't like to lose momentum)
A display on the dash shows me the tire pressures so it's easy to keep them at proper pressure

Minuses:
If an adult sits in the back they will inevitably hit their head on the door frame getting in the first time. That's a pretty low door frame in the back if you're planning on carpooling!
The cargo cover is pathetically cheap looking. What I assume started out as black faded into an ugly purple
The menu system is cumbersome and takes some getting used to.
Not technically a minus, but the front air dam is like three inches off the ground. I swear it has to be the lowest factory air dam out there! Every time I drive over something laying in the road I hold my breath. I scrape it every time I pull in my daughter's driveway
Build Thread:
Current Mods: Max sidewall air pressure in tires

Planned Mods:
Official Fuel Economy Ratings
EPA city 0 mpg(US)
EPA highway 0 mpg(US)
EPA combined 94 mpg(US)

Actual Fuel Economy Performance
Lifetime 158.54 mpg(US)
Last 3 tanks 163.26 mpg(US)
90 days 158.54 mpg(US)
View Fuel Log
Last updated: Jan 21, 2017

(Created: 2016-10-02 05:48:41 / Modified: 2017-01-21 10:52:26)