Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2017, 11:51 AM   #181 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortie771 View Post
Looks awesome! Have you gotten around to doing any A-B-A testing? How's it working out for you?
Thanks. I haven't really done any scientific fuel economy testing yet. So far it feels like about a 0.5 - 1 mpg difference just based on my average tank ranges. I am guessing about a 3-5% improvement which is in the ballpark of reasonable.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Macskyver For This Useful Post:
aerohead (04-22-2017), buckeye_coaster (06-22-2017)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-28-2017, 09:19 PM   #182 (permalink)
Not banned yet

Blue - '03 Chevy S-10, LS
just noticed this thread also. great job on construction and looks.
this would look good on my 93 except:
i don't do much highway driving any more,
my tank is in the bed towards the cab,
the finish would have to not look so good like yours does. my truck is kind of rough looking.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:49 PM   #183 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
the finish would have to not look so good like yours does. my truck is kind of rough looking.
I pointed out in another aerocap thread that, once you have the CNC framework, there are a variety of options to finish it. Would birchbark fit in?

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/aero-bed-cap-questions-35060-3.html#post539425
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
deejaaa (04-28-2017)
Old 04-29-2017, 12:01 AM   #184 (permalink)
Not banned yet

Blue - '03 Chevy S-10, LS
it's not quite that rough. kind of dull, scratches and dents. not too bad but not too good.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:14 PM   #185 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

You could always just paint it a solid color on the exterior. That would make the fiberglassing easier and it would still look good without being too fancy.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:04 PM   #186 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

For a faux patina you would start with an under-painting of metallic gray and/or red oxide, lay down a base color and then distress it (scuff pads and whip it with a chain) and then a wash of some dark color to fill the crevices.
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
ldjessee00 (09-19-2019)
Old 05-07-2017, 12:55 AM   #187 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
A little weight makes a very small difference, and aero matters at slower speeds than you think. A truck has higher drag than an average car, and average cars hit 50% of the load from aero drag at <30MPH.

Pretty much everybody drive at least 30MPH much of the time - so aero matters to everybody, much of the time.
Aero matters to steady state driving. Hardly at all to stop and go in most metro areas. Point taken, but route efficiency, engine idle time and vehicle mechanical condition trump aero in nearly all ways. For most purposes, and for most persons.

Certainly, though, aero "help" is needed more with a pickup. Right to the point it begins interfering with ability to do work. When it becomes counterproductive.

I was passed this afternoon by a cherry late 1990s Dodge one ton, standard cab with a HD steel contractor pack (tailgate removed, HD doors; exterior access doors on sides) and a low profile roof rack. Again, HD. All painted body color. Premium tires on stock wheels. Nothing out of line. Far from what I'd see forty or fifty years ago that contractors would make for themselves. This was close and compact in engineering. "Aero", by any definition. Government or utility contractor quality. The best.

That mans' main gains would be from replacing body bushings, steering shaft and the rest of the front end to eliminate the steering slop I know it has. That truck is old. Rubber rots. Pickups need perfect steering more than aero (in about 90% of cases. It's the noise in the numbers nearly every time).

That, and route optimization plus engine idle discipline is about all that's needed otherwise.

The "beauty" of aero is when all else is like new. And use scrutinized like a businessman. (No more runs to the convenience store at ten pm). Only then.

Without such a background -- or use confined to highways -- aero is too slippery for non steady state, low speed driving to determine results. I'm not going to argue Zenos Paradox, but if we on the one hand want to see some ABA testing, then elimination of variables still come first.

I love the work, no question. Want something for mine. And this thread shows a beauty. I'd like to meet the owner, to shake his hand and sincerely compliment his work in person (which is how I read the "below sixty mph advantage; as part of a compliment). The thread is lovely inspiration. Would be a boon to society far more than beards, tattoos and tee shirts to see dozens of such bed covers in a day.

But I could take an otherwise identical truck and install the above contractor pack with full size ladder rack and produce better mileage than with an aerolid. If "use" isn't quantified by any owner of any project (ability to do work part of that), then aero below 60-mph is fairly without meaning. Let me set the definitions of "work" (there is no other reason for a pickup) and my engineered "aero" contractor package will kick ass over an ordinary pickup with an aerolid.

It won't take much to win.

At the end of the calendar year this aerolid "should" show a percentage improvement to the annual average mpg. Assuming records exist. And no other changes are made. No repairs. No change to tire design. Not to routing. Not to driving style. Not to idle discipline. Not to work performed, etc. (Not likely, in other words).

The effect of aero improvement won't be separated (recognizable) at low, non steady state speeds. I can easily believe improvements to crosswind handling, etc. "Seems easier to drive". ("Feelingz")

Quantifying it is something else.

Last edited by slowmover; 05-07-2017 at 01:03 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to slowmover For This Useful Post:
BamZipPow (05-31-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 01:29 AM   #188 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Now you have me wanting to see an HD contractor aero pack.

Just to see where the wheel spats and plasma actuators would go.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:25 AM   #189 (permalink)
Eco Sol

slowmover - You lost me... Maybe it's cause I slept too much and still waking up How do bushings help economy? Or were you just saying that a work truck would better benefit from fixing their bushings (due to safety concerns, etc.) than increasing aero.

Anybody had a picture of this HAD contractor package? I'm having a hard time seeing it in my head and my Google search results seem pretty useless.

Best Tank = 42.72 mpg (in the 94 Del Sol)

CR-Z Current Mods:
Max Sidewall PSI
Old 05-31-2017, 12:24 PM   #190 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
I love the work, no question. Want something for mine. And this thread shows a beauty. I'd like to meet the owner, to shake his hand and sincerely compliment his work in person (which is how I read the "below sixty mph advantage; as part of a compliment). The thread is lovely inspiration. Would be a boon to society far more than beards, tattoos and tee shirts to see dozens of such bed covers in a day.
Thanks, I appreciate it. Let me know if you ever head down to the San Marcos area and I will show it to you in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
But I could take an otherwise identical truck and install the above contractor pack with full size ladder rack and produce better mileage than with an aerolid. If "use" isn't quantified by any owner of any project (ability to do work part of that), then aero below 60-mph is fairly without meaning. Let me set the definitions of "work" (there is no other reason for a pickup) and my engineered "aero" contractor package will kick ass over an ordinary pickup with an aerolid.
I agree, the shell definitely diminishes the ability for the truck to do normal truck work (i.e. haul stuff). The purpose for the shell, however, is for easy (no tent) camping/overlanding. The aero gains are a secondary bonus.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Macskyver For This Useful Post:
BamZipPow (05-31-2017), deejaaa (05-31-2017), slowmover (06-02-2017)
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
aerocap, aeroshell, camper shell