Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2013, 10:54 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-15-2013, 01:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lots of Questions

Motor-Rolla - '01 Toyota Corolla LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 28.3 mpg (US)

Gaia - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 19.78 mpg (US)

Gaia - Round 2 - '99 Toyota 4runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 17.23 mpg (US)
Just for the record, what are those extra parts needed?

Best EM Quotes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
It has been said, that if you peel the duct tape back on Earth's equator, you'll find that the two hemispheres are held together with J B Weld.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9 View Post
subscribed with a soda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
If you're burning,and someone throws gasoline on you,there will be a localized cooling effect, but you're still on fire.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Cinco The Miata - '90 Mazda Miata
Team Mazda
Sports Cars
90 day: 36.13 mpg (US)

Oscar Wilde - '02 Honda Metropolitan
Motorcycle
90 day: 94.9 mpg (US)
This is awesome! I'm anxious to see results once you have your microsquirt set up.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Land Shark - '11 Toyota Yaris 3dr Hatchback
Team Toyota
90 day: 36.68 mpg (US)
What transmission are you using? A C50 or C150? That's good to know that the 1NZ-FXEs are so cheap. I have a Yaris with a 1NZ-FE, and the FE has a high parts commonality with the FXE, so if I ever need engine parts. For performance, first thing I'd do would be to swap out the cams to those off of a FE, unless you want to keep the Atkinson cycle. Otherwise standard intake/header/exhaust, unless you plan to go forced induction. The stock header is particularly bad, I bet you noticed how the lead pipes pinch before the collector, very restrictive, the stock 1NZ-FE is well known to have low high end power because of it. Most after market headers are simply an enlarged stock design and only add to top end, but the Weapon R and DC Sports use different designs and add gains throughout the RPM range. What kind of crank pulley does the 1NZ-FXE have? The FE has a overly heavy, 3lbs, steel beast, swapping out a 3/4lbs aluminum pulley adds 1~2HP to the wheels. I'd suspect Toyota put a lightweight pulley on the FXE. Did it come with a flywheel? Again, the one on the FE is too heavy for the little engine.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sean.Heihn For This Useful Post:
jeff88 (10-16-2013)
Old 10-16-2013, 09:47 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

From the 1nzfe I used:

-clutch, flywheel, pressureplate
-alternator
-starter
-intake/throttlebody
-dipsticktube/dipstick

I also used a fuel rail from a paseo. This allowed me to run a return type fuel system and avoid buying a more expensive pressure regulator. It required a fair bit of modification to fit, but not too bad.

I also kept the prius crank pulley. It's only 3rib, and the alternator is 4, but hasn't given me problems yet. If you wanted to run AC, switching to the 1nzfe pulley would be a good idea. The prius has a tensioner on the motor mount that has to be moved to clear the alternator.

I'm using an original mr2 c50 with a scion XA Bellhousing. A c150 has problems in the mr2 mounting the selector shaft in the opposite direction. That and it would have left me making a driver's side mount as well.

The wiring harness is made from scratch, which is not an issue for me. I've done a tremendous amount of toyota swap wiring over the years.

That might be an idea for replacing a blown 1nzfe. 13:1 is really high compression. Kinda on the edge for 93 octane gas. You would switch over your old cams. A 1nzfe ecu can't operate atkins cycle.
The Following User Says Thank You to mr220v For This Useful Post:
jeff88 (10-16-2013)
Old 10-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Land Shark - '11 Toyota Yaris 3dr Hatchback
Team Toyota
90 day: 36.68 mpg (US)
Actually some people with 1NZFEs have swapped in FXE pistons and it worked with the stock ECU and 91 octane.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:23 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Interesting, but for those of us not initiated into the inner mysteries of Toyotadom, could you point us to a translation of all those number/letter combinations?

Can't help but wonder how one (or maybe you'd need two?) would work in a pickup.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:30 PM   #18 (permalink)
fuel conserver

Civic - '99 Honda Civic EX
^If you are talking about swapping it into a Toyota mini truck, I would say the Yaris engine would have enough guts to haul around a 2,000 lb load with the truck. The stock 22re is 115hp and about 135 tq, but you dont need anywhere near that to idle the truck around

When I had a 96 Tacoma base 2wd 5psd, I was wanting to swap in a 90hp TDI engine into it
'22 Tundra TRD OR
'04 RX330
'05 Tacoma 4x4
Old 10-16-2013, 02:17 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

When I say 1nzfe, I mean toyota echo/yaris/xa engine.

This engine would be a good fit for:

-corollas
-tercels
-paseos
-mk1 and mk3 mr2's
-Celica St's and 2001+celicas

It could also go into camrys and rav4's, but you would be fabricating all 4 mounts, and not just the one.

To my knowledge there is no RWD bellhousing that will work with the 1nz bellhousing pattern. You would be stuck making an adapter plate.

Just for raw fuel economy without the experimentation a 2nzfe in an early 90's tercel would be the ticket.....just don't wreck in it (that or there are 3cyl motors that probably fit). 2nzfe is the 1.3L version of the 1nzfe. 2nz's are also pretty cheap.

Last edited by mr220v; 10-16-2013 at 02:32 PM..
Old 10-16-2013, 02:25 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
@jamesqf:

You could put one in a truck. I recommend you put it in the back, for conveyance to someone who wants to mount it in a small car.

For something like a newish Tacoma, that's just too much truck for such a little engine. Yeah, it would get you down the road...eventually. As part of a hybrid system I think it would be a great setup. To be the only motivation under the hood of a modern Toyota PU, I think it would be an exercise in frustration. A brilliant exercise, but still frustrating.

If, on the other hand, you have an old Stout, a 45-year-old very compact truck hanging around somewhere waiting for a heart transplant, this might get the job done. The original Stout had comparable power and weighed considerably less than the modern Prius - in fact, its weight may have been comparable to this OP's '86 Mister Two. A 1NZFE might be a good repower option for a Stout.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Reply  Post New Thread