Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2016, 01:28 AM   #71 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Accuracy of the pumps is certified by the State.
Sure. But accuracy here is a bit relative. And it is one of the factors that can produce some error in his calculations.

The law expects some innacuracy in the equiptment:
https://www.quora.com/How-accurate-a...n-gas-stations

Significant number of stations might be out of compliance at any given time:
"In 2005, 6985 pumps were tested; 1299, or roughly one in five, were not pumping accurately." The Pump Police - Feature - Car and Driver

Or this...
Keeping Gas Pumps Honest | NBC4 Washington

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
aerohead (12-10-2016), Xist (12-10-2016)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-03-2016, 09:40 AM   #72 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Delta Flyer - '94 Honda Accord
90 day: 31.31 mpg (US)
I'm not sure using only one pump is feasable. I do a lot of driving around the metroplex. I do agree a better method of measuring is in order, as eyeballing the gauge is kind of sketchy.
The Following User Says Thank You to RoadCyclist For This Useful Post:
aerohead (12-10-2016)
Old 12-03-2016, 11:10 AM   #73 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadCyclist View Post
I'm not sure using only one pump is feasable. I do a lot of driving around the metroplex. I do agree a better method of measuring is in order, as eyeballing the gauge is kind of sketchy.
I hear you. The gold standard in an OBD1 car like your would be an MPGuino. It should be quite straihtforward in a 94 Accord, so similar to the civics in which the mod has been done a lot.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
Xist (12-10-2016)
Old 12-03-2016, 11:28 AM   #74 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I wish, but mine is an early 94 with no OBD. Otherwise I'd be all over that...
Old 12-03-2016, 11:31 AM   #75 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

As far as MPGuino, i have an arduino and some know how, but I'm not sure how to do the wiring and code. I'm rather leary of messing with my car's wiring.
Old 12-03-2016, 01:41 PM   #76 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Your 1994 Accord is OBD1. All that generation was. I think OBD2 started in them in 1995, certainly not later than 1996.

Here is a really good write up on an OBD1 1994 Civic install:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...l-w-19295.html

AND here is a trouble shooting thread for a manual 1992 Accord's MPGuino:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...all-21491.html

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
RoadCyclist (12-03-2016), Xist (12-10-2016)
Old 12-03-2016, 02:34 PM   #77 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks for the links. I may do one eventually, but I would prefer to build it myself and I'm not sure I have that skill yet.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:59 AM   #78 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Results from minimum throttle/high Hg/in are in at 33.05 mpg, +/- 1 mpg for error. Now I'm doing throttle pushes again, but using 89 test fuel because that's the only kind i could get to work at the station.

Actually this thread has kind of superceded it's original purpose of Aerodynamics. If it needs to be moved or something that's fine, doesn't matter to me.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:12 PM   #79 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Everything can be reversed

Hello,
Let me welcome you and offer encouragement. Don't be afraid to experiment. Almost everything can be reversed. They may laugh, but they also drive gas guzzlers.
I haven't posted in a long long time but you'll find my first post back in 2011.
I have very little spare time to keep a blog, but its probably time to post an update since my last one in 2011.

All my Mods to my 1994 Civic are simple, effective, easy, practical, includes return-on-investment (ROI) consideration, and real-world in practice.....and still in place after 6 years. This is my daily driver; now 70 miles per day and still going. I don't put anything into my car I can't recoup the costs, but for a few bucks I'll give anything a try.

Most of my mods come from home depo, auto parts stores or things on the side of the road someone else threw out.

I've been laughed at and Jeered "look at the Geek Car". "What weird looking car"......I smile.....and I don't care. I'm laughing all the way to the bank.

I tell my co-workers "Its my retirement plan". I'm on track for an early retirement.

Look up my original post:

Preface:
1994 Honda Civic Mods- 1.5 L 4 Cyl. Paid $1100 - Engine Rebuild $600
5 Spd stick shift
Total miles Modifications tested and proven- 125,000 miles after installation.
(including 2 round trips Cocoa Beach-Chicago, 2 more to Nashville.)
Total mileage - 286,000+
Original MPG - 35 city/hwy combined.
Current MPG - 41-42 city/hwy combined
MODS
- Rear Wheel Skirts - Free scrap metal - 8 hours labor
- Front moon caps - $90 ebay
- Shaved side mirrors and moved to concave square mirrors inside. Add a curved blind spot clip on mirror to the center one - $8 and $12 @ Advance auto
- Vacuum gauge (this is a must-have to learn hyper-mile driving and measure mod effectiveness) - $20 harbor freight.
- Carpet removed (it got wet from a rain leak I cant find, and it stunk. So I took carpet out and threw in rubber mats for now.......2 years ago - $20 Wal Mart)
- Engine Cut Off and Coast switch - $8 Advance Auto. (this mods the most FUN but one that requires very careful driving habits for hyper driving management to be courteous for other drivers behind and in front of you before killing the engine, but it will make you very aware of smooth driving techniques, looking 30 seconds ahead and timing the stoplights perfectly.)
- I fabricated a really nice front 4" air dam from a $7 piece of PVC gutter pipe and painted it to match last partial paint job. I even fastened it with wing nuts in case I had to rip it loose if I hit something in the road or that ugly parking lot bumper jumped out at me. But I removed it when the mileage went down by 2 MPG after three tank's test).
-I remove one wiper blade for long road trips and use Rain X
-Disconnected the power steering pump belt
-Disconnected the AC belt (it quit 30,000 miles ago)
Mods Considering: (when I have time).
Belly Pan - perhaps one of these large and free corroplastic political road signs can finally go to good use - $free plus $4 in fasteners
Strap on whale tail - Another $free political sign and a $10 pair of harbor freight magnetic trailer lights.
Spring loaded sliding radiator air dam - A third $free political sign.

Did I mention I'm laughing all the way to the bank?

If I can find some more time soon, I'll post a new thread on each Mod and the story and pictures to go with it.

Keep experimenting. Some of the best inventions came out of garages.
Kurt
Old 12-10-2016, 01:33 PM   #80 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
measuring

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadCyclist View Post
It's common practice to use an isolated alternate fuel supply for testing,in which the fuel is weighed before and after,and the mass difference is used for the mpg calculation.
A glass burette works great since its very narrow and compact, shows a difference in a very short distance, and weighs very little.

California98Civic (12-13-2016), freebeard (12-10-2016), Xist (12-10-2016)
Reply  Post New Thread